Inexpensive Linux Laptop

Kjel Anderson kjel.anderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 22:14:36 EDT 2007

I just picked up an Everex xT5000T (Made by FIC).  I'm running Kubuntu
Feisty. Everything worked from the git go with the exception of the internal
speakers. I have headphones but no internal speakers. Since I almost never
use the built in speakers it is not a big deal. For the price ($770) this
laptop is hard to beat. Here are the specs:

AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual Core TL-50 @ 1600mhz per core
OS    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
RAM    1 GB of 533mhz DDR2 occupying a single slot, leaving 1 slot available
Display    17" WXGA+ 1440x900 Diamond Brite screen
Graphics    Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 with 256MB DDR2 dedicated
Audio    Realtek ALC885 High-Definition Audio Codec
Hard Drive    100GB (5400RPM) with a slot for a second hard drive also
available
Optical Drive    8x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
I/O Ports

    * 3 x USB
    * 1 x DVI
    * 1 x TV-out (S-video)
    * 1 x Mic-in
    * 1 x Headphone in
    * 1 x Infrared – IrDA
    * 1 x Modem – RJ-11
    * 1 x RJ-45 LAN
    * 1 x Express Card
    * 1 x Firewire – 1394
    * 4-in-1 Card Reader for SD, MMC, MS, and MS Pro

Communications

·         10/100/1000 Ethernet

·         802.11b/g
Dimensions/Weight

·         15.7" x 11.8" x 1.3 -1.6" (L x W x H)

·         8.45 lbs
Battery/Power    ·         6-cell, 2.5 – 3 hours

Kjel