Fun with lirc and streamzap...

Jeff Creem jeff at thecreems.com
Sun Jun 10 10:14:51 EDT 2007

> 1) Are you sure you have the lirc_streamzap module built for your kernel?
> No, how do I do that?  I haven't seen any info on this.  Of course, I
> did not know to even look for it.  :-[

lirc is one program that I really have no idea why they even bother
including as a binary package. It essentially
never has the right modules included and thus ends up really providing
no value at all. I suppose it is
some sort of dependency of other items..

In any case, you almost certainly need to recompile it from source and
configure with the appropriate device.

I ended up doing mine from a tar and installing in /usr/local rather
than rebuild via source RPM. It is fairly easy
and certainly works with the streamzap remote.

I am using Centos 5 for my mythtv setup mostly because who whats the
non-hassle
of a pre-configured working out of the box setup :)