Fun with lirc and streamzap...

vze27w4e bruce.labitt at verizon.net
Sun Jun 10 08:49:55 EDT 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:
> hi.
>
> I've got streamzap working:
>
> 1) Are you sure you have the lirc_streamzap module built for your kernel?
> 2) Do you have the lirc_dev module built for your kernel?
> 3) what happens if you run:  modprobe lirc_streamzap
> 4) Do you have a "correct" /etc/lircd.conf?
>
> For me I just run:  lircd -d /dev/lirc0
>
> This works for me on my FC6 myth frontend.
>
> -derek
>
> Quoting vze27w4e <bruce.labitt at verizon.net>:
>
>> Finally got a chance to get back to this...  It would be nice to get
>> this to work...
>>
>> Can't seem to get lirc/lircd working on my myth setup.  I cannot seem to
>> get my streamzap remote to be seen by irw.
>> The contents of /etc/sysconfig/lirc is:
>>
>>    # Note: in addition to these parameters, you need to have working
>>    -*- sh -*-
>>    # configuration file for lircd (and lircmd if enabled).
>>
>>    # Options to lircd(8).  Typically, at least a remote controller
>> driver
>>    # ("-H foo") needs to be specified here.  Run "/usr/sbin/lircd -H
>>    help" to get
>>    # a listing of supported drivers.
>>    LIRCD_OPTIONS="-H default"
>>
>>    # If "yes", the init script will try to start lircmd(8) too.
>>    ENABLE_LIRCMD="no"
>>
>>    # Options to lircmd(8).
>>    LIRCMD_OPTIONS=""
>>
>> If I run /usr/sbin/lircd -H help I get the following:
>>
>>    # /usr/sbin/lircd -H help
>>    Driver `help' not supported.
>>    Supported drivers:
>>            alsa_usb
>>            atilibusb
>>            audio_alsa
>>            bte
>>            bw6130
>>            creative
>>            creative_infracd
>>            default
>>            dev/input
>>            dsp
>>            dvico
>>            ea65
>>            livedrive_midi
>>            livedrive_seq
>>            logitech
>>            mp3anywhere
>>            mouseremote
>>            mouseremote_ps2
>>            null
>>            pcmak
>>            pinsys
>>            pixelview
>>            silitek
>>            tira
>>            udp
>>            uirt2
>>            uirt2_raw
>>            usb_uirt_raw
>>
>> The driver streamzap is not in the list, although lirc.org says it is in
>> the distribution.  The conf file for the streamzap is included with the
>> version of lirc (0.8.1).
>>
>> First Question:  Is the line LIRCD_OPTIONS="-H default" correct?
>> Streamzap is not in the list above...
>>
>> In my modprobe.conf file I have the following:
>>
>> # cat modprobe.conf
> [...]
Hi Derek,

Answers below.
1) Are you sure you have the lirc_streamzap module built for your kernel?
No, how do I do that?  I haven't seen any info on this.  Of course, I
did not know to even look for it.  :-[
I did not compile lirc, perhaps I should have.  I just used the binary.
I did a search for lirc_streamzap on my machine. couldn't find anything.
2) Do you have the lirc_dev module built for your kernel?
I think so.  I downloaded the binary.
3) what happens if you run:  modprobe lirc_streamzap
"FATAL: Error running install command for lirc_streamzap"  couple of
billion times !!!
4) Do you have a "correct" /etc/lircd.conf?
Pretty sure.

Thanks.