USB scanner + embedded Linux box = network scanner?

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:26:42 EDT 2007

On 6/13/07, Ted Roche <tedroche at tedroche.com> wrote:
> Disagree with your conclusion here ... I have an HP OfficeJet (a d145,
> couple of version/model years old) with the extra HP JetDirect I/O card ...

  We've got an HP LaserJet 3380 All-In-One with a JetDirect card.  It
does have "network scan" functionality.  The problem is, to trigger
the scan, you have to use a web UI.  Which means a computer.  Which
means the user has to walk to the unit, load their originals, walk
back to their computer, start the scan, and walk back again to pick up
the originals.  And hope it didn't jam, or that someone else didn't
move them in the meantime.

  I could put a computer right next to the scanner, of course, but if
I'm going to do that, I might as well just attach it via USB and save
us the cost of even a cheap network scanner.

  All of the cheaper network scan solutions I've seen work this way
(needing computer software to actually manage the scan).  It doesn't
look like the HPLIP software will be any different.  Contrast this
with our Konica P/S/C units, on which you just hit a couple front
panel buttons, and it uploads the results to a network folder (via
FTP).  (They also support email.)  Of course, they cost over $4K each.

  Thanks anyway, though.  :)

-- Ben