[OT] Political video of immigration attournys re: H1B->Perm workers (Re: [SAGE] a video)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 28 14:55:03 EDT 2007

On Jun 22, 2007, at 17:16, Bruce Dawson wrote:

> There are a number of software employees on this list that might
> find it
> interesting.

I did, but I see them digging their own graves, so I'm not too
worried.  If they go under, smarter businesses will replace them.

It does come around to free software, though, as ultimately, the
measure of IT projects is efficiency - economic, quality, and time-to-
delivery.  Free software provides businesses a leg up on both counts.

Sure, we can hire some overseas workers cheaper, but if they're just
cheaper, and not more efficient, the only ones who benefit are the
H1B workers themselves and the bozos who do seminars like the one in
the video.

Americans do just fine when measured on productivity.  Here's a
recent study by the London School of Economics on this topic:

"Americans Do I.T.Better: U.S. Mutlinationals and the Productivity
Miracle".
   http://ideas.repec.org/p/nbr/nberwo/13085.html
   http://cep.lse.ac.uk/pubs/download/dp0788.pdf

-Bill