Emacs: Multiple files in one buffer?

aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 8 11:07:29 EST 2007

This message is addressed to all the Emacs gurus on the list...

I have a vague sort-of-almost memory of having read something about a
major mode which will let you edit multiple files in a single buffer.
I wondered how that could work, how emacs could know which part of the
buffer belonged to which file, but I didn't think it was useful
(indeed, I deemed it dangerous) at the time.

Now, I have a use for this mode.  But now I can't find any information
on it!  Not on google, not under info.  Does this major mode really
exist, or is long-term exposure to emacs just starting to take its
toll on me?