Emacs: Multiple files in one buffer?

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Thu Mar 8 11:36:28 EST 2007

On Thursday, Mar 8th 2007 at 11:07 -0500, quoth aluminumsulfate at earthlink.net:

=>
=>This message is addressed to all the Emacs gurus on the list...
=>
=>I have a vague sort-of-almost memory of having read something about a
=>major mode which will let you edit multiple files in a single buffer.
=>I wondered how that could work, how emacs could know which part of the
=>buffer belonged to which file, but I didn't think it was useful
=>(indeed, I deemed it dangerous) at the time.
=>
=>Now, I have a use for this mode.  But now I can't find any information
=>on it!  Not on google, not under info.  Does this major mode really
=>exist, or is long-term exposure to emacs just starting to take its
=>toll on me?

I'm pretty good with emacs and I've never heard of such a thing.
[Qualification: My .emacs is over 30K]
The only thing that comes to mind with regard to this topic is something
like cc-mode (or is it just called c-mode now) which formats C code
differently from the way it handles comments.

A better idea is to find out more about what you want to do. I just might
be that minor modes would accomplish what you want.

steveo at syslang.net