DST tip: make sure /etc/localtime is also right

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 19:32:53 EDT 2007

On 3/13/07, T. Warfield <hafnium at metrocast.net> wrote:
> Of course they also mention that a recycle of daemons depending
> on /etc/localtime or a reboot.

 Yah, most everything just loads time zone information at program
initialization, so just updating the time zone tables isn't enough.
Given that some programs may do Strange Things during time changes, I
found it was best to just reboot.  That gives an ordered shutdown and
startup for everything.

> <sarcasm>Looking forward
> to the Dept of Energy report to determine if we are going to continue doing
> this so we can change everything back. </sarcasm>

 Oh, I'm sure some politician will eventually need to make some
bullshit gesture about how he's doing something about high gas prices,
and will tinker with it again.

-- Ben