Handhelds/PDAs - Palm vs Zaurus vs others - Opinions? Experiences?

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Tue Mar 20 17:35:19 EDT 2007

>  So, I'm thinking about getting a new handheld computer (AKA PDA),
> before the one I have now finishes crumbling into dust.  (For purposes
> of this discussion, let's assume my handheld and my mobile phone will
> be two different devices.)  I'd like to hear people's opinions and
> experiences on brands, models, etc.

I've had a zaurus (SL-5500) and currently have a Treo (650). I would
seriously consider combining the two devices. I find it very helpful.

>  I'm especially interested in the Sharp Zaurus.  I understand that,
> while it's nominally not sold in the US, it's pretty easy to find
> vendors importing it, and that the manufacturer support picture is
> pretty good (for the immediate future, anyway).

For what you get it's probably going to be costly compared to other
alternatives in the market. If anything just for the extra cost of
importing the device and probably re-installing it with a more US
Centric version of the OS.

>  One thing I want from a handheld is that it has to be a good PIM
> first -- good calendar, contact, task list, and notepad functionality.
> Not Emacs, but something easily usable with one hand while I've got
> my head stuck inside a computer cabinet.  This is one thing the Palm
> always did *very* well.  What about the Zaurus?

The sliding keyboard I had on mine was neat, but not really easy to
use. I find the keyboard on my Treo easier to type on with one hand.
This was mostly due to the fact that it was hard to handle with the
keyboard exposed and making it awkwardly long. I found the actual PIM
software to be lacking quite a bit.

>  My handwriting sucks.  I've managed to train myself to Graffiti, but
> that's about it.  If all the
> Zauruses... Zauri... Zaurus models have built-in keyboards, I guess
> that's moot.  Right?

There is software for the Zaurus to let you write on it just like a
palm, so you have a choice there. But if you get a Palm device with a
keyboard you also get this.

>  The Zaurus runs Linux, which is uber-cool, especially for more
> sophisticated things.  Can anyone comment on how Linux software
> translates to the Zaurus platform?  Is it just a recompile, or is it
> mostly incompatible?  Does it use X for graphics, or something else?

You can get X for the Zaurus, but its not very usable. Most use OPIE
and Qtopia for the graphical interface. They are both Palm like in
look and feel. I had a bunch of "normal" linux software, but nothing
crazy. The "coolest" thing I ran was probably ScummVM, that worked
great with the touch screen. But I ran Konqurer for a web browser,
AIM for IM (I had a wifi card for it). Another thing I would do is
mount my windows box to get my MP3s. Then I'd have a little wireless
MP3 player with access to anything on my desktop (virtually unlimited
space since I can just keep adding on to the desktop). Also, the
stock OS lacked a lot (I felt), but was fairly stable (at least as
stable as Palm devices of the time). OpenZaurus was much better for
software and usability, but would have crashes way to often.

>  What about sync'ing with a desktop Linux PC?  I ass-ume, since it
> runs Linux, that basic interoperability is a no-brainer.  Is there
> anything like jpilot for the Zaurus?

I never got mine to sync to my satisfaction due to the crappy PIM
apps that came with it. The calendar was HORRIBLE.

>  Any other handhelds people like these days?

In all honesty the Zaurus was a neat toy, more like a mini laptop
than a PDA. I would probably rather have an OQO to do what I did with
a Zaurus. I like my Treo better, it's much faster, plays video and
audio better, and there seems to be more useful PIM apps for it. The
only thing I wish it did better is IM, but that's minor, but having
Gaim was neat for the Zaurus.