Handhelds/PDAs - Palm vs Zaurus vs others - Opinions? Experiences?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Mar 22 08:24:44 EDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Ben Scott <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/07, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> > What do you want?  A computer you can carry around with you?  Or
> something
> > to carry around w/ your data until you can get to a real computer?
>
>   Ideally the former, but I'll settle for the latter if that's the
> only way to get good handheld functionality.  My primary goal is
> memory augmentation.  Something that can remember my appointments and
> contacts and other bits of information for me.  That's why PIM
> functionality is so critical for my purposes.  I don't care if it can
> run emacs or SSH or a web browser if it sucks as a calendar.  Those
> other things would be cool, but PIM is a requirement.
>
>   The ability to use it as a handheld -- i.e., *in my hand* -- is also
> critical.  I want something I can whip out at a moment's notice, to
> jot down that cool URL or book someone just told me about, or add an
> appointment or to-do.
>
>   I was *really* hoping to hear the Zaurus was good at this stuff, but
> it sounds like that's not the case.  :-(
>
> > Palm is what you use until you get to a real computer.
>
>   It amuses me greatly that a unit with a 200 MHz processor, 32
> megabytes of RAM, and a high DPI, high color screen isn't considered a
> "real computer" anymore.  :-)

That's more cpu/ram/storage then the Macintosh Plus had.  The Mac was
512x384 and not color.

  My current handheld is a Sony Clie PEG-TG50 running Palm OS.  It's
> the best handheld I've ever used.  I love the backlit keyboard.  I use
> it for all my PIM stuff.  But it is literally being held together with
> tape at this point.  The IR is dead, the thumbwheel broke off, it's
> ready to go to that big eBay in the sky.  :-)

I had a Clie until the touch screen stopped working.  It was nice and I
loved the backup to memory stick.  I have an m130 that doesn't do that very
well.  I also have an m505.  The CPU is slower then the m130 but the battery
goes 3-5 times as long w/o a charge.

>   You can still buy them on eBay, etc., and I'm sorely temped.  But
> Sony killed the whole Clie line a year or two ago.  I'm loathe to buy
> such a dead end product.  Even Palm, stagnant as they are, beats that.
>
>   Based on feedback I've gotten here, and what I've read elsewhere,
> I'm thinking a Palm Z22 or E2 will be the way I go.

I'd love to get a TX.  Palm doesn't seem to want to do wifi :-(