Handhelds/PDAs - Palm vs Zaurus vs others - Opinions? Experiences?

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Thu Mar 22 13:39:42 EDT 2007

Jeffry Smith wrote:
> I'll comment again (although I don't own one yet) - check out the N800
> by Nokia (http://www.nokiausa.com/N800).

All well and good but....

"Browsing time: up to 3 hours"

HUH?  THREE HOURS?!?  Are they %^%%&&%$&%^#@%$& high!?!?  That's a
limitation not a feature.

I can use (yes, USE) my Handspring Visor for days before the battery
goes out.

What's up with PDAs, UMPCs, and even laptops these days and the severe
lack of battery life?  If it doesn't have 6+ hours of battery time in
heavy use mode, it ceases to be worthy of the terms "portable" or
"mobile".  I bought my mobile devices specifically to NOT have to plug
them in every few hours.

I'd gladly put up with a couple more ounces in battery weight if I could
ditch the laptop, cellphone, and PDA for one umpc device... but unless
the battery life at least triples, these things are completely useless
to me.  They add no functionality and save nothing either.

Brian