LinkSys WRT54G and OpenWRT

David A. Long dave at jumpshift.com
Sun Mar 25 15:28:47 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 21:33 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2007, at 16:28, Ben Scott wrote:
> >  There are some LinkSys bitty boxes which supposedly have crypto
> > accelerators in them, and some of them are listed on the OpenWRT
> > pages, but I don't know if the crypto hardware is supported.
>
> I looked into boxes w/IPSec crypto acceleration maybe six months ago.
> At the time, none of them ran OpenWRT and none of them were
> particularly inexpensive, so I just moved vpn duties onto a
> substantially more powerful system. If something runs OpenWRT, can do
> hardware crypto, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, that'd be slick...

Has anyone looked into mini PCI (type III) crypto cards, or otherwise
made modifications to the WRT54GL hardware?  The radio hardware in the
box is on its own removable mini PCI card and presumably could be
replaced with a crypto card.  Since my firewall is in the basement I had
already planned to use other WRT54GL's as dedicated wifi access points
upstairs.

-dl