Why we can't record our TV shows (was: In case you have not seen it.....Linux Media Center)

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Mar 26 16:42:45 EDT 2007

Seth Cohn wrote:

> For free-to-air programs, I suspect it would be very hard to make truly
> illegal.

Seth:

I am not a lawyer and don't believe you are, either. I'd suggest we
allow the courts to determine what is and is not legal.

> For other programming, I'd still look to the Sony time-shifting
> decision and ask what the difference is between this and making a VCR
> copy (or more than one) and giving it to a friend. That is and remains
> entirely legal.

I don't recall the "giving it to a friend" portion of the decision, and
the slippery slope of two friends, four friends, putting it on the web
site, popping it up on BitTorrent likely crosses the line, somewhere.

> Frankly, the Bono copyright extension was a
> perversion of justice, and I'd be glad to prove it to a jury in a
> court of law.

I would be glad to have YOU prove it, too.

> Ah, but the sites do a great job of filtering just for such a thing.
> For example, [OMITTED} is a feed that doesn't list...

STOP.

You are pointing out feeds of shows whose legality is questionable at
best. This is in violation of the terms of use of this list, this group,
and likely the TOS of our kind hosts.

Whether or not the site in question is legal is of far less interest to
most of the group than whether the chilling effects of finding that out
are worth exploring.

Let's focus our discussions on Linux and Free/Open Source Software and
not on proprietary multimedia. There are plenty of other forums for that.

>> One may want to avoid boasting of one's illegal activities in such a
>> forum.
>
> That assumes that it is illegal.

And you assume it is not. This forum is not the place for those discussions.

--
Ted Roche