Copyright Issues (Was: Re: Why we can't record our TV shows (was: In case you have not seen it.....Linux Media Center))

Travis Roy travis at scootz.net
Mon Mar 26 16:49:42 EDT 2007

> I don't recall the "giving it to a friend" portion of the decision,
> and
> the slippery slope of two friends, four friends, putting it on the web
> site, popping it up on BitTorrent likely crosses the line, somewhere.

I agree with this.. Even when people were saying making mix tapes for
friends was legal back in the old Napster days.. But I don't think
standing in front of the local grocery store and handing out copies
of CDs to everybody that walks by as giving a friend a copy, that's
distribution

> Let's focus our discussions on Linux and Free/Open Source Software and
> not on proprietary multimedia. There are plenty of other forums for
> that.

To be fair, I do think copyright issues are something that is up for
discussion. After all, it does effect Free/Open Source Software quite
a bit.