NHRuby.org May meeting summary.

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed May 16 11:57:41 EDT 2007

The NH Ruby/Rails user group met Tuesday night at the Portsmouth Public
Library for a presentation on how to deploy a Ruby on Rails application.
A total of six people attended, including three new faces.

Scott Garman gave a demo/tutorial on what's involved in deploying a Ruby
on Rails application to a production server. The deployment environment
consisted of Apache v2.2, mod_proxy_balancer, Mongrel, and MySQL. He
also spoke at length about Capistrano, a powerful tool for automating
deployments from your source code repository to production server(s).
Capistrano includes very useful features such as code rollbacks if you
discover new bugs in your deployed code base.

Scott has posted slides from this talk at the following url:

http://www.nhruby.org/downloads/how_to_deploy_rails_app_2007-05.pdf

Unfortunately, the slides lack a lot of context, as the presentation was
heavily based on live demonstrations.

Two copies of Agile Web Development with Rails and one copy of the Ruby
Cookbook were also given away, thanks to O'Reilly's user group support.

In other news, this was our last meeting at the Portsmouth Public
Library. We have found a local company which has offered us a regular
meeting location. The great folks at RMC Research in Portsmouth have
agreed to host our meetings in one of their conference rooms (one which
includes a nice 62" plasma display for presentations, I might add!).
Many thanks to Tim Golden at RMC for this assistance.

Our next meeting will be on the SECOND Tuesday of June, the 12th.
Afterwards we will be returning to our normal third Tuesday of the month
schedule. More details and directions will be included in the June
meeting announcements.

http://wiki.nhruby.org

Keep up to date by subscribing to our wiki's changelog RSS feed:

http://wiki.nhruby.org/index.php?title=Special:Recentchanges&feed=rss

Scott

--
Scott Garman