[GNHLUG] PySIG next Thursday, 24 May, Manchester -- wxPython

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu May 17 16:10:58 EDT 2007

 wxPython, presented by Ric Werme                           24 May 2007

o PySIG next week!  Next Thursday, May 24th, at the Amoskeag Business
  Incubator.  Our continuing thanks to the folks at ABI and SNHU.

o Milk and cookies are expected.  (Cookies have been requested;  have
  we a volunteer for this month's "milk run"?)

PySIG -- New Hampshire Python Special Interest Group
Amoskeag Business Incubator, Manchester, NH
24 May 2007 (4th Thursday)   7:00PM

The monthly meeting of PySIG, the NH Python Special Interest Group,
takes place fourth Thursdays, starting at 7:00 PM.  Beginners'
session precedes at 6:30 PM.  (Bring a Python question!)

wxPython, presented by Ric Werme
wxPython is a GUI toolkit for the Python programming language.  It
allows Python programmers to create programs with a robust, highly
functional graphical user interface, simply and easily. It is
implemented as a Python extension module (native code) that wraps
the popular wxWidgets cross platform GUI (C++) library.
    http://www.wxpython.org/

    "Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard GUI for
    Python yet?"        --Eric S. Raymond

    "wxPython is the best and most mature cross-platform GUI
    toolkit, given a number of constraints. The only reason wxPython
    isn't the standard Python GUI toolkit is that Tkinter was there
    first."             --Guido van Rossum

    "Tkinter is dead, Java is dead, wxPython rules! That's all
    there is to say."   --Robert Roebling

    "BTW, great work! I've definitively switched from Tk. I work on
    Win32, anybody who works on Win32 should switch!"
                        -- Michel Orengo

Plus:
o Kent's Korner   The Real Stuff!  - Kent Johnson
      Upcoming Kent's Korner topics:
          Logging
          XML parsing  (ElementTree)
          HTML parsing  (BeautifulSoup)
          Profiling (timeit, prof)
o Our usual roundtable of introductions, happenings, announcements.
      Django.June in Northampton!  Cool programming & cool music:
          http://open.e-scribe.com/wiki/DjangoDotJune
o Gotcha contest - bring your favorite "gotcha"
o Python Data Types Shootout, Part II  - Bill Sconce
      --in which Bill chooses which toe to shoot off THIS month
o pdb, Python Debugger micro-intro, time permitting

And of course, milk & cookies...

6:30   Beginners' Q&A
7:00   Welcome, Announcements - Bill & Ted & Alex
7:10   Milk & Cookies - <your name here> & Janet
7:15   Kent's Korner (Python Module of the Month)
7:45   wxPython - Ric Werme
8:30~  Python Data Types II - Bill
8:45~  pdb, Python Debugger
9:00~  Adjourn - "~" because sometimes coffee conversation continues
       a bit now that Alex has keys to the restroom

About PySIG:
    PySIG meetings are typically 10-20 people, around a large table
    equipped with a projector, power, and Internet hookup (wired and
    wireless).  We encourage laptops and hands-on;  seminar style.
    The main meeting starts at 7 PM; officially we finish circa 9 PM.
    Everyone is welcome.  ("Membership" is anyone who has an interest
    in the Python progamming language, whether on Microsoft systems,
    Linux, or mainframes.  We have everyone from object-oriented
    gurus to recovering COBOL programmers.)  Tell your friends!

Beginners' session:
    The half hour before the formal meeting (i.e., starting at 6:30PM)
    we have a beginners' session.  Any Python question is welcome --
    whoever asks the first question gets the half hour!  Questions are
    equally welcome by mail beforehand (in which case we can announce
    them) or at the meeting.  (As are all Python questions, anytime.)

Mailing list:

About Python:
    "Python is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that
    can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers
    strong support for integration with other languages and tools,
    comes with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned
    in a few days.  Many Python programmers report substantial
    productivity gains and feel the language encourages the
    development of higher quality, more maintainable code."

    "NASA uses Python...so does Rackspace, Industrial Light&Magic,
    AstraZeneca, Honeywell, and many others."

    Google: "Python has been an important part of Google since the
    beginning, and remains so as the system grows and evolves."
    -Peter Norvig

    http://www.python.org

About Amoskeag Business Incubator:
    Our gracious hosts are the Amoskeag Business Incubator, an
    organization providing a supportive entrepreneurial environment
    that stimulates the growth of businesses to ensure economic
    vitality and encourage job creation, by providing affordable
    office space and technical assistance to early stage companies.
    PySIG thanks the ABI for their generous hospitality.

    http://www.abi-nh.com

Directions (thanks to Ted Roche for improvements to "from the north"):
    PySIG NH meetings are held at the Amoskeag Business Incubator,
    33 South Commercial Street, Manchester, NH.

    Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the north:
        o Use Exit 6 from I-293.  Stay to the right on the ramp,
          yield twice to traffic incoming from the left, cross back
          over I-293 and accept one merge coming in from your right.

        o Then get in the right lane, and stay there, over the river,
          and onto the Canal Street exit ramp.

        o Take the first right off Canal Street onto North Commercial
          Street.  Enjoy the scenic mill buildings as the street turns
          into Commercial Street.

        o Coming to the traffic light get in the middle lane.  South
          Commercial Street starts on the other side of the light.
          You go straight through (and join the folks coming from the
          south at step * below).

    Coming in to Manchester using I-293, from the south:
        o Use the Granite Street exit.  Turn right (east).  Go under
          I-293 and cross the bridge over the Merrimack River.

        o Turn right (south) at the first light after crossing the
          bridge.

        * This is South Commercial Street.  Go past one parking-lot
          entrance, turn right into the second one.  33 Commercial
          Street will be right in front of you.  You may go in via
          either the ramp or the door and three steps inside.

        o Inside.  Up the stairs if via the door.  Go through the
          glass doors - follow the diamonds on the floor.  Go left
          at the last diamond.   (Under a sign which says
              "<- Amoskeag Small Bus. Incubator").

        o More diamonds, another sign...  much glass and office
          space for SNHU; turn left there, 4 more diamonds and
          you're at the glass doors for the Incubator.  An "abi"
          sign is above.

        o Through the doors, straight down the hall.  The ABI
          Conference Room is on the left.