OT: TV delivery alternatives (was: DirecTivo vs. 'New Direct TV DVR'?)

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:00:27 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Jim Kuzdrall <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:
>    I quit is 1987.  I don't know how I would find time to fit it back
> into my schedule now.  It is such a waste of time.

  Statement of fact, instead of opinion apperently.  :-P

>    Try this some time.  Record the sound of your favorite "educational"
> TV program.  Transcribe the audio track to text.  The audio content of
> a half hour program seldom fills a sheet of paper.
>    And the content is drivel.  All the statement are qualitative: "This
> beautiful tropical butterfly lives high in the forest canopy."  Rather
> than: "The beautiful Cambodia Flicker Back lives in mahogany trees at
> heights between 20 and 50 meters."  The information content is aimed at
> a rather dull 10-year old.

  Perhaps the PBS specials from 20 years ago, but the National
Geographic channel, Discovery Science, this is hardly the case.

  Being able to watch a two hour special with Steven Hawking on the
history of how he came about his theories of the universe I find
extremely entertaining, and at least in my house, leads to many the
dish washing conversation on the possibilities in the universe.

>    Not that I am against the populous having their thoughts and desires
> centrally controlled.  (As Marx would say, "The opiate of the people.")
> With out this consumption-driving device, our consumer society would
> collapse, devastating my stock market investments.

  Down with the man, he's trying to control us!

  Hey, someone pass the bong...

--
-- Thomas