OT: TV delivery alternatives (was: DirecTivo vs. 'New Direct TV DVR'?)

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Wed May 23 11:41:51 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 11:00, Thomas Charron wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Jim Kuzdrall <gnhlug at intrel.com> wrote:
> >    I quit is 1987.  I don't know how I would find time to fit it
> > back into my schedule now.  It is such a waste of time.
>
>   Statement of fact, instead of opinion apperently.  :-P

    Sorry, I should have said "waste of my time", which would still be
an opinion because I cannot think of a repeatable scientific experiment
that could unambiguously confirm such a thing.

    The last thing I would advise is that others adopt my opinions and
habits.  Society as we know it would collapse.  (That opinion is more
verifiable.)  However, you are welcome to use my opinions as a guide to
attitudes which should be avoided.

>> The
> > information content is aimed at a rather dull 10-year old.
>
>   Perhaps the PBS specials from 20 years ago, but the National
> Geographic channel, Discovery Science, this is hardly the case.

    You may be right; I certainly have no recent experience.  If so,
that is a good trend.

>   Being able to watch a two hour special with Steven Hawking on the
> history of how he came about his theories of the universe I find
> extremely entertaining, and at least in my house, leads to many the
> dish washing conversation on the possibilities in the universe.

    We often have such conversations based on the books we have recently
read.  What ever fits your style is fine.  I have no objection as long
as people use and stimulate their intellect - even fiddling with
computer games is OK - to a point.

Jim Kuzdrall