Kids Educational Programs

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Fri Nov 2 09:07:30 EDT 2007

sean wrote:
> The school district has just setup Linux here at the local school,
> Edubuntu was the flavor of choice.
>
> A few educational programs are in place for the kids and I am trying to
> find recommendations for others to try to display to the teachers what
> this setup can do for them.
> The school is K-5, so that might help with your responses.
>
> Some currently installed kids programs include GCompris, Tux Paint,
> Childsplay, and part of the KDE Edutainment package. I have already
> asked the district to install the complete KDE package.
>
> So what other valuable suggestion might some of you have here?

In our experience:
TuxType
TuxMath
OpenOffice (possibly set to save as MS Word/Excel by default - subject
to debate)
OpenClipArt (or equivalent)
OpenOffice Guides/Tutorials (there are several)
Scribus (for the 4th/5th grades)
Inkscape (for the 4th/5th grades)
Celestia / Stellarium (didn't really see these get much use though)

A couple we didn't get in use, but did sound interesting:
TuxWordSmith (if they do foreign languages)
TuxMathScrabble
Crossword Builder

A Wiki can be good (or bad, if either poorly supported or due to lack of
interest). One for kids and one for teachers. At one place, we are
trying to get traction going by getting them to implement their kids
portfolio in a Wiki, rather than just folders. Possibly with a spot for
kids blogging too. Moodle can be great, though we are still getting our
feet wet with that.

If teachers are to use these, and the school has applications for
attendance, grading, lunch count, etc., making these accessible to the
teachers from Linux can be a very good thing, as we discussed push back
in one situtation where they needed to have Windows systems for the
applications in addition to the Linux systems.

Good luck.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951