[OT] Understatement

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sun Nov 11 11:45:27 EST 2007

Jeff Macdonald wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Dan Jenkins <dan at rastech.com> wrote:
>
>>  From a BBC article on IPv6 vs. IPv6 (Vint Cerf is pushing for the
>> transition as he anticipates address exhaustion in 2010/2011):
>>
>>> IPv6 will create 340 trillion trillion trillion separate addresses,
>>> enough to satisfy demand for decades to come.
>>>
>> Umm, 340 undecillion (3.4 × 10^38 ) allows for 700 billion addressable
>> IPs per square micron of the Earth's surface or, as I believe Vint Cerf
>> is thinking, 1 IP address per every 9 cubic feet of the entire solar
>> system (out to Pluto's orbit). That definitely would qualify as enough
>> for "decades to come."
>>
> what, nanites can't have IP addresses?

A very good point I didn't think of, especially in regards to this:
World's First Nanoradio Could Lead to Subcellular Remote-Control
Interfaces <http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2007/11/nanoradio>

With about 10^14 cells in a human body, we would have enough addresses
for every cell in the bodies of  3.4x10^24 humans. However, each human
presumably has stuff to address, so assuming a billion addressable
devices per human, we would run out of addresses when our population hit
3.4 quadrillion.

Alternatively, assigning ranges to every star in every galaxy allows 3.4
quintillion IPs per star.

That should be enough for "decades to come." :-)

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951