Odd www log entries: Accelerated browsing the culprit?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Nov 12 15:28:34 EST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 09:52, VirginSnow at vfemail.net wrote:

> Could I be seeing some sort of web acceleration technology?

or a decelerator like Privoxy.

Also, perhaps Apache doesn't log on HTTP request but when the request
finishes?  Some weird combinations of pipelining, pre-fetching, and
keep-alive could get you all kinds of logfile output order variations.

> If visitors to my sites ARE using acellerated browsing, I want to be
> able to detect this and redirect them to another page (i.e., a 403
> error).  Is there any (server-independent, at least theoretical) way
> to do this?

What do you mean 'server independent'?  Your own inline proxy?
Squid can handle arbitrary unix scripts as filters.  You can tag
extra '&foo=unixtime' things onto your URL's and then filter them
subsequently, but I'm not sure why you'd want to stop people from
saving you bandwidth.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/