[OT] Verizon/FairPoint sale (was: Comcast!?!?)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Nov 15 18:37:29 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 14:38, Ben Scott wrote:

>   My only concern is, what if FairPoint does turn into another Vitts?
> Financial meltdown could well disrupt POTS (Plain Old Telephone
> Service) across the region, too.  That would be worse.

Vitts wasn't regulated the same way telcos are.  e.g.:

   http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/bankrupt.html

Odds are the worst case is the PUC would allow them to refinance and
charge a stranded-costs fee.  Otherwise PSNH customers would have
been in the dark for the past 20 years.

For this to happen one has to imagine that either the company is
grossly mismanaged or telco/data services are fundamentally
unprofitable.  If neither are true the market will take care of it.

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/