[OT] Verizon/FairPoint sale (was: Comcast!?!?)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Nov 15 18:44:44 EST 2007

On Nov 15, 2007, at 15:00, Michael Costolo wrote:

>  I'm assuming that Comcast serves the whole state and that their
> VOIP services are available everywhere, but that could be a bad
> assumption.

This has been made intentionally hard to measure, by using ZIP coding
to decorate coverage maps.  With ZIP+4 now happening it should be
much more clear.  Many towns now light up as 'Comcast' while they
only run down Main St.

At my house, we have, traditionally, 26.4 dialup and 1xRTT if I
wanted to put up a big mast (I get that kind of signal where it comes
over terrain, so you get the shadow of the signal, but not the real
one, whatever that's called, which CDMA deals with - my neighbor down
the hill gets none).

So, I build a 1.5 mile wireless/wired network with a neighbor to get
signal up the hill.  But it's not good, I don't want to maintain it,
and unlicensed bands suck with trees (we have lots of them in NH too)
(hence why nobody wants to pay for a license there).

Speaking of which I need to replace a .25 mile wireless link with
direct-burial fiber - anybody have a good source or advice on product
selection?

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/