"No disk / Wrong disk" message when burning CD-RW

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Sat Nov 17 16:13:57 EST 2007

> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 15:10:18 -0500
> From: Larry Cook <lcook at sybase.com>

> Has anyone seen or heard of this problem?
>
> Is it likely to be a s/w or h/w problem?

Yes. :)

> Is there a way I can reset the device driver or the device itself w/o
> rebooting the system?

If it's an ATAPI cdrom, you might try "hdparm -w /dev/cdrom".  N.B.:
the "-w" option to hdparm is considered "DANGEROUS".  If you have your
CD-ROM driver compiled as a module, you could always rmmod/insmod
again.

You might also want to look into any power management that might be
enabled for the drive... prehaps you're trying to burn a disk while
it's asleep. :)

Beyond that, it's hard to say w/o knowing what kernel/wodim version
and model drive you are using.