Lower power portable Linux

mike ledoux mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu
Wed Nov 21 12:08:24 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:03:31PM -0500, Ben Scott wrote:
>   A recent review[1] of the Asus Eee PC stated (paraphrased): Power
> management on Linux sucks.

I haven't read the review, but I agree with the statement that power
management on Linux sucks.

> Turning off the CRT was about it.  S3 (suspend-to-RAM) was often
> prevented by drivers.  S4 (suspend-to-disk) was experimental,
> unstable, and/or just plain didn't work.
>
>   Can anyone who has played with this more recently comment on how a
> modern Linux distro does on today's hardware?

I've had scripts to successfully 'hibernate' (suspend to disk)
my laptops for years, working at least as far back as 2.4-series
kernels.  I have yet to see suspend to RAM work on Linux anywhere.

>   I'm especially interested in how it fares for someone like me, who
> prefers to run a traditional *nix window manager and logon, without
> session management and a desktop environment and a bunch of extra
> daemons and so on.

I fit that description.  If you want my hibernate scripts, let me
know and I'll pack them up when I get home tonight.

--
mwl+gnhlug at alumni.unh.edu          OpenPGP KeyID 0x57C3430B
Holder of Past Knowledge           CS, O-