News from NEAR-fest October 2007, Deerfield

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Mon Oct 15 09:05:27 EDT 2007

Laura and I made it out to the Deerfield fair grounds late Saturday
morning to see the NEAR-fest, North East Amateur Radio festival [1].
Weather was great: sunny and bright, crisp and a bit breezy, a perfect
day for enjoying the near-peak foliage and outdoors.

Neither of us is a Ham, and tuning in NPR is about as close as we get to
radio operators, but we enjoyed wandering up and down the aisles and
checking out all the neat looking stuff for sale. There was an Enigma
machine on display. There were lots of people selling LED flashlights.
There was a guy making really neat nameplates; check out Bill's PYTHON
nametag some time. There was an assortment of computer stuff: Powerbooks
for $25, an assortment of 3-4-5-10-year-old computers, and incredible
assortments of lugs, connectors, wires, cables, switches, insulators,
gages, meters, tubes and stuff. I picked up a replacement CD-RW drive
for $5, an assortment of flashlights, some dental picks, a plastic
fresnel sheet for $2, etc.

There were several food vendors as well: the apple crisp smelled
heavenly from quite a distance.

We ran into Bill Sconce there, and he had found some treasures. Did
anyone else attend?

[1] http://www.near-fest.com/

--
Ted Roche