Problem with Xsession

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Oct 30 15:31:10 EDT 2007

I have a farm of Debian Sarge machines. The login process for this setup
was never properly established. (I have no idea why.)

* We do not seem to be going through the /etc/profile, $HOME/.bash_profile
sequence. I seem to have solved that problem by adding this script to
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/40bash-env:

set +e
f=/etc/profile
[ -f $f ] && . $f
f=~/.bash_profile
[ -f $f ] && . $f
unset f

I can't imagine why this was not a part of the original setup. :-(

* Next, I want my .Xmodmap to be used to switch the capslock and cntrl
keys as God intended.

514 > cat /etc/X11/Xsession.d/98custom_load-xmodmap
SYSMODMAP="/etc/X11/Xmodmap"
USRMODMAP="$HOME/.Xmodmap"

if [ -x /usr/bin/X11/xmodmap ]
then
     if [ -f "$SYSMODMAP" ]
     then
         xmodmap "$SYSMODMAP"
     fi
     if [ -f "$USRMODMAP" ]
     then
         xmodmap "$USRMODMAP"
         xmodmap "$USRMODMAP" # No idea why this is needed twice
     fi
fi

For the life of me, I have zero clew why the xmodmap call has to be made
twice. I am totally verschtumpt.

* And last, I have a $HOME/.Xresources file which I have always had to run
manually a la xrdb -load. I found out that the file
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30xfree86-common_xresources
already exists. In fact it is doing the right thing and after it executes
the xrdb, a subsequent xrdb -query tells me that it did in fact succeed
and that my personal resources were correctly loaded. But after the login
process completes, nada.

So, the recap is: Why is the login process messed up on three different
levels?

steveo at syslang.net