CD burner woes

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 15:37:00 EDT 2007

It turns out that kernels 2.6.18 through 2.6.20 (roughly) had issues with a
fair number of CD burners.  Mine was one, and I've upgraded the kernel since
I last burned a CD.  Upgrading to 2.6.22 fixed the issue.  Apparently the
device was getting flagged as "so bad it's not worth talking to" every time
I tried to do a write, then resetting and appearing just fine when I was
poking around.  dmesg output had a knee-deep pile of errors for the device,
though, once I thought to look there.  Googling on that error (instead of
all the keywords I could think of) led me to a discussion of the kernel
issues.

--DTVZ