CD burner woes

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:38:40 EDT 2007

On 10/30/07, VirginSnow at vfemail.net <VirginSnow at vfemail.net> wrote:
> But, the fact that wodim spit out "DING DING DING" in the middle of
> the output may point to compiler/linker issues...

  :-D

> Don't (repeat: DON'T) rely on the output of (wodim/cdrecord/readom)
> -scanbus.  Use "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" instead.

  I would suggest "in addition to" instead of "instead".  In
particular, some configurations can use IDE directly (without
involving IDE/SCSI translation), so nothing will ever show up in the
SCSI subsystem.

  And some configurations want the "direct" method for IDE, others
want SCSI translation for IDE.  What fun.

> Beware of potentially misleading SCSI devices... USB MSD usually
> appear as SCSI devices.

  Yah.  Pretty much everything "not parallel ATA/IDE" shows up as
SCSI, including USB, FireWire, most SATA, most RAID controllers (even
parallel IDE ones), etc.

-- Ben