MS Silverlight / Linux Moonlight

Bill Sconce sconce at in-spec-inc.com
Thu Sep 6 09:50:29 EDT 2007

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 08:46:34 -0400
Mark Boyajian <mlboy at charter.net> wrote:

> Microsoft(MSFT) also announced Wednesday that in reaction to customer
> demand it will be working with Novell(NOVL) to create and support a
> version of Silverlight that will run on Linux. [...]

So much of Microsoft's struggling has indicated "don't get it".  *THIS*
indicates "gets it".  The Linux strategy which might work is... the same
old strategy which always did work: embrace and extend. They've resisted
the "embrace" part for Linux, probably by reflex, up to now.

"Get the Facts". A joke.  ISO/oopsXML.  A charade.

But "Web apps"!  Yes, our lock-in stuff runs on Linux. Look how cool it
is.  "Create new online experiences beyond video and audio by supporting
Microsoft's .NET programming languages"!

"...Committed to interoperability with Linux."

Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

-Bill

P.S.  "Moonlight".  How appropriate is that?
      "Enter of your own free will"...