Updated RHEL 4 to 5, ldap won't start now

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 14:02:29 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Dan Coutu <coutu at snowy-owl.com> wrote:
> I'm sure that I'd see the last file it opened but that may not be at all informative in a
> situation like this.

  On the other hand, it might provide you a clue.  What have you got
to loose by trying?  I'd give ltrace a shot, too.

  When I'm stumped like this, I usually try starting from basics and
working my way up.  In other words, strip your config file down to an
absolute bare minimum.  (Or maybe try a stock config file, if that can
be done with LDAP. (I have zero experience with this part of LDAP.))
Don't try to do anything useful, just try to get the daemon to start.

  If the absolute bare minimum config file still pukes, then it's a
fundamental problem, not your config file.  Might be a corrupt library
or something.  Try "rpm --verify --all > rpm.out" and look at the
output file.  Or maybe they changed config file formats in a new
release and everything is different now.

  If the absolute bare minimum config file works, try finding the
problem by process of elimination.  Keep adding pieces back, one at a
time, until it stops working.

-- Ben