fedora 7 on laptop no longer burns CDs or DVDs

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Wed Sep 12 17:23:34 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:03 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On 9/12/07, Lloyd Kvam <lkvam at venix.com> wrote:
> >> Error trying to open /dev/scd0 exclusively (Device or resource
> >> busy)... retrying in 1 second.
> > >

> > That exclusivity error only shows up sometimes.  I think the retry
> > succeeds.
>
>   Right, because the auto-thingies all work by polling the device.  So
> if they happen to be polling the device when wodim tries to open it,
> you get the warning.  Then they close the present poll, and wodim
> retries, and it works.  Then, during the middle of the write, they
> poll again, and kablooie.
>
>   At least, that's my theory.

Well I shutdown to single user mode.  wodim chugs along until it thinks
it has written 26 MB and then decides that things are not working.  The
CD media still appears to be blank.

I have downloaded the cdrtools from berlios.de and will see if that
makes a difference.  I just need to be careful about fouling up my
fedora 7 stuff.

> -- Ben
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp