sendmail masquerading question

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Mon Sep 17 04:04:33 EDT 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 20:01, Ben Scott wrote:

> Now that
> you know that, what can you do that you couldn't before?  :-)

Your hostnames aren't bad.  From the HELO strings I've been seeing,
now that I sometimes pay attention, I see very generic outside names
like mx1 and inside names like NETWARE5-003.  Telnetting back to them
I might hit a PIX smtp fixup, but I still know which menu of sploits
to throw back at them. (theoretically, of course).

Not to try to prove the negative, but typically the approach of
preventing information leaks 'just 'cuz' is better than leaking
'cause you're not currently aware of any problems that might create,
because every once in a while you get caught by surprise.  That's not
maximizing for ease of troubleshooting, of course.

Plus, I just set your Tivo to record random shows from the Lifetime
network. ;)

-Bill

-----
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/