Problem with wrt54gl router

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:28:53 EDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Don Leslie <donald_m_leslie at raytheon.com> wrote:
> When I bring up the network /etc/resolv.conf has the following:
>
> search
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>
> This is true for both hardwired and wireless.

  What were you expecting instead?  Have you tried actually running a
lookup with that IP address as the "nameserver"?

  192.168.1.1 may actually be correct.  As I recall, the stock LinkSys
firmware runs a DNS proxy on the router.  That means machines inside
your LAN can just send their DNS queries to the router, and the router
will handle forwarding the request out to whatever the ISP nameservers
are today.

  Assuming that is *not* the situation: Have you tried rebooting the
router?  Have you tried updating to the latest firmware on the router?
 (These are standard procedures, yes, but they're standard because
they often work.  :)  )

  Assuming *that* does not fix anything: What OS/distribution/release
are you running on your DHCP client?

-- Ben