Problem with wrt54gl router

Don Leslie donald_m_leslie at raytheon.com
Mon Sep 17 17:12:21 EDT 2007

Ben Scott wrote:
> On 9/17/07, Don Leslie <donald_m_leslie at raytheon.com> wrote:
>
>> When I bring up the network /etc/resolv.conf has the following:
>>
>> search
>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
>>
>> This is true for both hardwired and wireless.
>>

>   What were you expecting instead?  Have you tried actually running a
> lookup with that IP address as the "nameserver"?
>
>   192.168.1.1 may actually be correct.  As I recall, the stock LinkSys
> firmware runs a DNS proxy on the router.  That means machines inside
> your LAN can just send their DNS queries to the router, and the router
> will handle forwarding the request out to whatever the ISP nameservers
> are today.
>
>   Assuming that is *not* the situation: Have you tried rebooting the
> router?  Have you tried updating to the latest firmware on the router?
>  (These are standard procedures, yes, but they're standard because
> they often work.  :)  )
>
>   Assuming *that* does not fix anything: What OS/distribution/release
> are you running on your DHCP client?
>
> -- Ben

I do not remember what it looked like when things worked.

If I try to ping the Roadrunner name server I get

from 192.16.1.1 Destination Unreachable

dig fails to find a server

I am running SuSE 10.2 . I rebooted the router which made no difference.
I could look into new firmware but it has been running fine for months.

Don