New distro question

Flaherty, Patrick pflaherty at wsi.com
Tue Apr 8 12:24:08 EDT 2008

> I realize this is / was / will be a religious argument, but I'm having
> trouble with this distribution of Centos on my computer.  I was
> wondering if there was a distro more up to date and was suited for
> scientific calculations.
> It doesn't have to be cool, although that is ok.  It does have to be
> functional and reasonably supportable.  MIS is familiar with RH stuff,
> if that matters.
Did you look at Scientific Linux? Not only does it wear a lab coat, but
it has updated graphviz and R releases.

It's a RHEL clone like CentOS, so if you are having trouble with CentOS
already, I'd assume you will see the same thing with SL.

https://www.scientificlinux.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux

You should also look into Debian, it's Free, supportable, stable, has a
hypnotising swirly logo, and over 3.5e3 packages available in it's
repositories (perhaps the scientific calculation software you are
looking for is already part of the release).

Patrick