New distro question

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Apr 8 13:01:06 EDT 2008

Labitt, Bruce wrote:
> I realize this is / was / will be a religious argument, but I'm having
> trouble with this distribution of Centos on my computer.  I was
> wondering if there was a distro more up to date and was suited for
> scientific calculations.

Personally, we use Mandriva. It generally just works. It was derived
from a RedHat ancestor, so it is ought to be familiar to RedHat folk.
They have a new release every year typically. The updates are fairly
quick in between.

I am not familiar with their scientific packages. I know there are some
in the repositories, especially the contrib repository. Anything in
particular you are looking for.