Solved: Sendmail question. Problem with yahoo.

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Mon Apr 14 09:36:37 EDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 19:24 -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:
> >> Anyone want to give a presentation on switching from Sendmail to
> >> Postfix?
> >
> >  Why would you ever want to do that?
>
>   Primarily: Cleaner, easier configuration.  I find it costs me more
> to learn a new feature in Sendmail than it appears it would cost me to
> learn the corresponding feature in Postfix.
>
>   I've been using Sendmail since I started with *nix, so the
> incremental cost of learning one new feature when I need it has been
> lower than the cost of learning all of Postfix.  But every time I do
> so, I think of all the cost I've been accumulating over the years.  A
> common situation, really.  The field of IT systems administration is
> largely about turning "Better the devil you know" into a way of life.
>
> > Sendmail has more flexibility.
>
>   More than I need.  The higher flexibility comes with a corresponding
> cost.  So I'm paying for something I don't need.  Like commuting into
> work by driving an 18-wheeler.
>
> -- Ben

I tend to agree here. Sendmail may be the ultimate mail server software
ever, but you practically need a formal degree in Sendmail to get it to
perform many of the complex operations that many other mailservers can
do in a seemingly more straight-forward manner.

For instance, Shawn O'Shea just pointed out that you can dynamically
define new transports for postfix, and then address this problem by
setting up a "lameservers" transport that behaves in the
5-rcpts-per-message manner using configuration options that are much
more lexically understandable.

Maybe sendmail *is* the best option if your primary job is a 24/7 mail
relay operator... but I don't want to have to learn a (sort of) brand
new language for telling my mailserver what to do. I have got better
things to do with my time. I'd take the "less features, but easily
configurable" mailserver over the "mailserver that you could write a .mc
that would compile the mailserver itself if you wanted it to", because
I'd spend less of my time administering my mailserver, and more time on
Paying Job (TM), and hobby projects (FreeBSD, etc...).

--
Coleman Kane