Solved: Sendmail question. Problem with yahoo.

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Apr 14 10:59:02 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Steven W. Orr <steveo at syslang.net> wrote:

> On Sunday, Apr 13th 2008 at 08:13 -0000, quoth Ben Scott:
>
> =>On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Coleman Kane <cokane at cokane.org> wrote:
> =>  Anyone want to give a presentation on switching from Sendmail to
> =>Postfix?  I really need to get around to doing that, one of these
> =>decades...
>
> Why would you ever want to do that? Sendmail has more flexibility.

Security:

Sendmail has a long history of security problems.  In its defense, it's been
beaten to death the last decade and had not had as many security problems.
Also, I think OpenBSD uses sendmail by default.

Postfix & Qmail have been designed from the beginning to be secure. Sendmail
has had it added.  It's very hard to add after the fact.

Multiple layers for security in depth.  Run qmail outside the firewall,
postfix inside and sendmail/exchange on local boxes.

Simplicity:

Simpler configuration syntax.  Fewer tools needed.  Fewer transports
supported (UUCP not needed usually).  Smaller footprint.  Faster operation?

Smaller code/fewer features also mean fewer places for exploits to hide.
Easier to code review.