moving linux installs

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Apr 24 14:51:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:19:15 -0400
"Ben Scott" <dragonhawk at gmail.com> wrote:

> NetworkManager is a crock.  It happens to work sometimes, maybe even
> a lot of the time, but it's still a crock.  NM either works
> automagically, or it mysteriously fails.  When it works, great.  When
> it fails, there's nothing you can do about it.  Reminds of of MS
> Windows, actually.

In my case, it is one of the few solutions. At work I use WPA
authentication, and home I use WEP 128, at BLU meetings I use either
MIT or JABR-NET unencrypted. While Network Manager does fail, I have
found the most common cause it WPA-Supplicant. Prior to using NM, I
used SCPM. SCPM has a few advantages over NM. One advantage of SCPM was
that at HP I could configure a proxy server, but no proxy server
elsewhere. I have not seen SCPM used outside of SuSE systems, though.

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846