Saving the error output of make

Labitt, Bruce labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com
Thu Apr 24 18:03:52 EDT 2008

Hi Gang,

I managed, with great difficulty, (another rant, for another day) to
install Scientific Linux on my Optiplex 745.  This machine will suffice
until I get a decent computer for what I need to do.  To run some tests,
I'd like to install Octave on it.  (OS version of MATLAB.)

I want to build octave from source so I get the options I'm interested
in.  (I had managed to build octave from source when I had Centos 4.6 on
the computer.)

The configure phase appeared to go ok.  The make failed.  At some time I
can send to anyone if they are interested - that is if I can capture it.

I tried using:
$ make | tee makeoctave.log

This stored nearly everything, except for the error messages near the
end.

So I got something like this

lots of stuff ...

1] g++ ...... blah blah ...
2] ../src/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to ...
3] ../src/liboctinterp.so: undefined reference to
'std::basic:_istream<char,
4] collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
5] make[2]: *** [octave] Error 1
6] make[2]: Leaving directory ....
7] make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
8] make[1]: Leaving directory ...
9] make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

In the file makeoctave.log I recorded lines 1,4,5,6,7,8, & 9, but not 2
and 3?  How can I fix that?

As for the error it looks like some c++ stuff is missing, maybe some
other files...  Got to hunt this down...  There were some interesting
items in the config.log, maybe they are a clue ;-)

Bruce