Source for DVI/USB KVM switch, cables

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 17:26:35 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> wrote:
> I'm used to Sun Sparc hardware which does serial very well.

  Of course.  All the "real Unix hardware" OEMs have had good serial
console support from day one.  It's pretty much a requirement.  Not so
on the IBM-PC.  But a lot of server hardware supposedly supports
serial console.  As Bill says, what you actually get can vary quite a
lot.  For the Intel motherboard that runs this list server, if you
enable serial console, the BIOS runs out of stack space during POST
and crashes!  (Good quality control there, Intel.  Do you test this
shit at all before you ship it?)  But I've got another 1U Intel mobo
at home that actually seemed to work (when I tried it briefly).

  But from what Paul (the OP in this subthread) said, I gather he
really needs something that will interface to a PC as if it was a
"real" keyboard and mouse, because they're trying to simulate installs
as their customer would do them, and the customer (I'm guessing) is
not going to be using a serial console.

-- Ben