Comcast blocks port 25 incoming, yet again

David W. Aquilina david.gnhlug at starkindler.us
Fri Apr 25 17:30:09 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 05:16:42PM -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
> I also came across the following "Acceptable Use Policy" on their
> website:
> http://632fpbe.fairpoint.com/forms/acceptable_use_policy.php
>
> It states:
> "Serving of any kind is NOT allowed without express written consent from
> ISP. Consent should be given in a separate service contract and should
> be producible by the customer upon request from ISP."

I have service from Speakeasy (and have for a couple years before moving up to NH as well) and I've been very pleased with them. Their TOS, regarding servers:

"Speakeasy believes in the right of the individual to publish information they feel is important to the world via the Internet. Unlike many ISP's, Speakeasy allows customers to run servers (web, mail, etc.) over their Internet connections, use hubs, and share networks in multiple locations. Any service that causes a disruption in the network integrity of Speakeasy or its vendors, whether directly or indirectly, is strictly prohibited and could result in termination of service."

from http://www.speakeasy.net/tos

Other things I've liked about speakeasy:

- They have actual intelligent people manning their tech support line pretty much 24/7
- One time an account on my system was compromised (shame on me for not setting a strict enough password policy for my friends' accounts!) and was used for naughtiness. Speakeasy attempted to contact me before cutting off service, and once I had assured them I took care of the problem they turned it back on within a couple of minutes.
- They'll set the reverse DNS of your IP to whatever you like, as long as the forward lookup exists.

Bad things about speakeasy:

- A little pricey
- They do have a contract
- They got bought by BestBuy for Business a little while ago. Service hasn't seemed to suffer for it, though.

hope this helps...

-David

--
David W. Aquilina