Comcast blocks port 25 incoming, yet again

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Fri Apr 25 22:03:44 EDT 2008

David W. Aquilina wrote:

> Other things I've liked about speakeasy:
>
> - They have actual intelligent people manning their tech support line
> pretty much 24/7

My first tech support call to them a few years ago sold me on their
service.  I was trying to do something non-standard with the way my
multiple IPs got NAT'ed locally and was having an issue interpreting the
manual for their DSL modem/router.  The guy asks what OS I'm running.  I
cringe and tell him "Linux".  He says, "Hold on.  It's faster if I just
send you a shell script than to explain it to you.  Are you comfortable
with bash?"

I think I almost fainted.

I've been using their service ever since and I'm extremely happy about
it.  Their actual uptime is better than most T1's I've seen.   The only
times my service goes down are when power outages exceed my UPS
capacity... and maybe an hour or two a year, with the rare exceptions of
telco issues, which have happened all of three times in 7 years.

Brian