Source for DVI/USB KVM switch, cables

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 20:59:59 EDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Michael ODonnell
<michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:
> One that comes to mind apropos this thread is a card called the PC
>  Weasel (or maybe the Real Weasel?)  ...

  PC Weasel is the product, Real Weasel is the company (or a DBA of
the company).

http://www.realweasel.com/

>  that you could install in some machines (hmmmm, maybe
> only possible with EISA/ISA and not PCI*, now that I think of it...)

  The original product was an ISA card; they apparently offer a PCI
product now, too.  Long ago, I read a review of the ISA card that was
rather positive.  Expensive, though.

>  I'm surprised there isn't a product that's basically a webcam
>  that allows you to watch the screen from a nearby system via
>  which you could also relay keyboard I/O...

  That's basically what the IP-based KVM products are doing, except
they attach directly to the VGA port rather than using a monitor and a
web cam.  I've heard good things about the Lantronix SecureLinx
Spider.  It's a gadget with a VGA capture, USB connection for
keyboard, mouse, and floppy/CD emulation, serial port, built-in 2-port
Ethernet switch (for daisy chain).  Reportedly works well with Linux.

http://www.lantronix.com/data-center-management/kvm-solutions/securelinx-spider.html

-- Ben