New GNHLUG SIG

VirginSnow at vfemail.net VirginSnow at vfemail.net
Fri Aug 1 15:31:09 EDT 2008

> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 14:18:55 -0400
> From: "Arc Riley" <arcriley at gmail.com>
> Cc: gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org

Holy cow.  You sent this spewing vomitous reply to the whole list?
You should be aware there are over 300 people on the -discuss list.
Nevertheless, since you posted on-list, I will reply on-list...

> As I've said before, what you're looking for is very different from what
> we're building, and I really dislike you're repeated attempts at trying to
> co-opt this.

I'm not trying to steal anything.  Maybe it's time to stop accusing me
of working against you and explain why you think what you and I are
trying to do are so different.  Whenever we meet in person, it sounds
like we're in agreement on these things.  But when you send me email,
you disagree with virtually everything I say.  How does that work?

> It's not about activism or outreach.  It's just a group that holds
> events and workshops that appeal to regular users, that includes
> regular users and encourages them to give workshops as well.

Sitting around and talking geek is what chapter meetings are for.  If
you're too newbie for that or can't swallow the level of technical
difficulty, then the COSIG support events would be perfect for you.

<extensive rambling deleted>

> It's about the community.  Let's face it, we're a bunch of geeks.  We talk
> to each other about things completely over the head of regular users, and it
> alienates them.

I intentionally left that out of my proposed "mission statement",
figuring you would bring it up.  And you did. :) Yes, I agree that a
COSIG should promote community.  How do you propose to state that as
part of its mission?  Wouldn't community building be the inevitable
result of having a SIG which spreads the word about Linux and helps
users get familiar with their new OS?  I'm not saying that we
SHOULDN'T mention the word "community" in our mission statement.  I'm
asking you (and everyone else): What would you like to see say?

> I'm not convinced calling it an Ubuntu SIG is a bad idea.  Yes, it's the new

We've been over this a number of times already.  No further comment.

Returning to the topic, allow me to restate my postulates:

  (1) People want to foster adoption of FOSS in our community.

  (2) People want a place where new users can get help with FOSS.

  (3) If you offer (1), you should also offer (2).

Does it not make sense to have a group whose purpose is BOTH (1) and (2)?

To me, the two activities seem to go together like whipped cream and
apple pie.