New GNHLUG SIG

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 15:50:16 EDT 2008

I will ignore the vitriol in both directions, but I feel it is appropriate
to respond to this part:

  (1) People want to foster adoption of FOSS in our community.

>   (2) People want a place where new users can get help with FOSS.
>
>   (3) If you offer (1), you should also offer (2).
>
> Does it not make sense to have a group whose purpose is BOTH (1) and (2)?
>
> To me, the two activities seem to go together like whipped cream and
> apple pie.

It is immediately apparent to me that a SIG intended for casual users who
are not concerned about e.g. config file editing might be better off
excluding the advocacy component.  Advocacy and "I just want to use it" are
diametric opposites.  I find that most "I just want to use it" folks are
either bored or actively repelled by advocacy.  Forcing them into the same
SIG seems unwise.  Is there some compelling argument for putting them
together that I'm not seeing?

(For the record, *I* am actively repelled by 90% of the advocacy I've seen.
Unsurprisingly, I only like my brand of advocacy, which is to mention that I
use Linux and that Windows irritates me, and then to shut up unless asked
specific questions and just be alarmingly competent with technology.  I find
it works as well as anything else I've tried.  Of course, my three cats are
Debian, Apache, and Penguin, which does tend to draw specific questions...
;-)  )

I would also never insult a perfect apple pie by contaminating it with
whipped cream.  Tastes vary.

--DTVZ