FOSS tools for reading COM/OLE structured storage files

Larry Cook lcook at sybase.com
Mon Aug 4 14:09:59 EDT 2008

Does anyone have experience using FOSS tools for reading COM/OLE
structured storage[1] files?

I'm going to look at POIFS[2] and OLE::Storeage[3] but was wondering if
someone has a recommendation based on experience.

Also, here's the *REAL* trick: The FAT32 filesystem containing the file
in question was corrupted and scandisk has happily saved pieces of the
original file in separate FILEXXXX.CHK files.  What are the odds that
all the pieces are there and I can put them back together in the right
order?

Thanks,
Larry

PS. Look at this!  Someone is sharing their proprietary file format in
Windows Compound Binary File Format Specification[4].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_storage
[2] http://poi.apache.org/poifs/index.html
[3] http://search.cpan.org/~mschwartz/OLE-Storage-0.386/Storage.pm
[4]