iPhone/Smartphone stuff

Heather Brodeur epidote at nexttime.com
Mon Aug 4 16:39:29 EDT 2008

Ben Scott wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Labitt, Bruce
> <labittb1 at tycoelectronics.com> wrote:
>> If you are considering gsm networks, look at t-mobile.  Cheaper than
>> at&t (at least for what I need).
>
>   This is something I don't understand.  A friend of mine gets his
> mobile phone through work.  It's some kind of BlackBerry.  His
> employer switched from AT&T to T-Mobile.  They're both GSM carriers,
> so I expected them to be about the same.  Yet he says he gets
> significantly worse coverage with T-Mobile than with AT&T.  Anyone
> know why that might be?  Something to do with roaming, perhaps?

Would it be too simplistic to say "you get what you pay for?"
T-Mobile's focus is on urban areas, outside of that you're taking your
chances.  AT&T has access to more towers, and therefore better coverage
(I don't know if it's a matter of T-Mobile being unwilling to pay to
access the towers or AT&T being unwilling to share.  I have been in
several places with my AT&T phone with strong signal, standing next to
my friend who's T-Mobile phone showed "SOS only."  The most memorable
was a mile or two outside of Lake George village, one mile away from I-87.

As of a year ago, AT&T's coverage maps varied with which type of plan
you had, so be careful when looking at coverage maps to be sure you have
the right one.  When we switched from Verizon to AT&T last year, we got
the AT&T phones on new numbers and compared signal strength for several
weeks (we had a month to return the phones if we were unsatisfied).
Coverage was comparable everywhere we went, which included going up
RT89, across Vermont on RT4.  Either both carriers had coverage, or
neither.  YMMV

-Heather