Kernel parameters... X86_TSC

Paul Lussier p.lussier at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 15:07:27 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Is anyone here familiar enough with the 'Clocksource tsc unstable'
problem in recent 2.6 kernels to discuss the characteristics and
manifestations of this bug?

I'm looking to understand things like:

 - When the clocksource goes unstable, what happens from a userspace
   perspective?
 - Does time move at all?  If so, which way, forwards, backwards, either?
 - If the TSC clocksource is registered unstable, and the another
   clocksource is chosen, can it too become unstable?
   - If so, how will I know?  Will it log a similar error to the TSC error?
     Something like 'Clocksource [hpet,acpi_pm,jiffies] unstable' ?
   - What happens if the next clocksource goes unstable?

Please note, I'm NOT looking for a solution to the TSC problem, that's
readily available on the net.  I'm looking to understand the problem
thoroughly.

--
Thanks,
Paul